Monday, February 23, 2015

Transfers Tomorrow, have a berry good week


















Thanks Russell for sending me your package. I got it this Wednesday and have been enjoying your letter and your chocolate. The other day, Hermana Brake asked me when my family was going to send me some American chocolate cause she loves it. She said she really loves Snickers. Elder Ango and I already ate the ones you sent us. Maybe you could send some that I could give her if I dont get transfered tomorrow. Usually I get several dearelders in one week and then none the next week. It would help if you could include the dates in the letter because it isnt included in the dearelder.
Last Monday we went to the Real Felipe Fortress in Callao. Thats what all of the castle pictures are of. It was huge and pretty cool. Now it is a military museum.
This week I went on intercambios with our District Leader, Elder Alva. I dont know why, but the craziest things always happen during intercambios. We invited three people to be baptized on the 28th of March and they all accepted. One of them was Hermana Hayde. Now we have four investigators planning to be baptized on the 28th!
One night this week we were visiting one of our investigators with a baptismal date named Karina. She lives in a quinta with her godmother and 2 year old daughter. A quinta is kind of like a small community of houses that has one door to the street with a long passageway that leads to a small plaza where all of the doors to the houses are.(Hope that makes sense, if it doesnt you can probably look it up online). Anyway, we were visiting them when some people outside started yelling that there was a fire. We all ran out an saw a lot of smoke in the passageway out to the street. The godmother is a crazy old lady and started running around and yelling at the neighbors to call the bomberos. The passageway was filled with smoke and we werent sure if we were going to be able to leave, but we pressed on through the smoke and when we got out onto the street we realized it wasnt even a housefire, it was an old couch that someone had lit on fire outside the quinta door. We left just as the bomberos got there, and I could tell that they were a little disappointed. That reminds me, maybe dad could send me some firefighter patches that I could trade with the Peruvian bomberos here on Pdays. 
Elder Pacas is going home to Quito, Ecuador on Wednesday. The ward held a fun going away party for him Thursday night. I am going to miss him. He was an awesome friend and example for me.
The other day we contacted a reference from ELder Pacas and Elder Tasker. The man was a little hard to find because both the name and address that he gave them were a little bit wrong. When we finally did find him he greeted us and invited us into his old truck to talk with him. I thought it was a little weird at first like he was going to take us somewhere, but he just sat there with us in the truck and started telling us his life story. When he was 14 he got into drugs and alchohol. At first it made him happy, but now he can see how it has ruined his life. He broke down crying several times and looked us in the eyes and told us that he is not happy, and that he wants out. We were able to teach him about the Word of Wisdom and repentance there in the cab of his old truck. We taught him about the Atonement of Jesus Christ and how because of His sacrifice we can all become clean from sin and happy forever. He really enjoyed our visit and I could feel the spirit very strong. Afterwards, he offered us some juice and we walked to the market and he paid for us. I could see the hope and light that this knowledge of the Gospel had given him. It reminded me of the scripture in Alma which says that wickedness never was happiness, and also Mosiah 2:41 which is one of my favorite scriptures. Let us all keep all of the commandments of God and endure to the end that we may be heirs of the Eternal Life!
Love, Elder Kevin Torgersen








No comments:

Post a Comment