Monday, July 20, 2015

A Really Fast Successful Week!‏

Well, it was another ggreat week! It went by fast as usual, but I am enjoying it. Elder Ibañez and I have been working hard and have found a lot of new people to teach. We are making a lot of progress with others. 
It sounds like you all had fun in Idaho and on the beach trip! You wrote about raspberries and I really miss them. They basically dont exist here. You can go to the super market and buy a tiny jar of raspberry jam but its nothing like your homemade jam and its expensive! They have soo many new and strange fruits here but no raspberries! I´m glad you all survived your tornado! 
Yesterday was a good sunday. I didnt have to give a talk (like I did the last two of the last three weeks), and we had a lot of investigators come for the first time. We went and picked up Albert and he stayed for the first hour with us. Sacrament meeting was really good and he was asking me a lot of questions. All of the speakers talked about temples, marriage, and the family. It was perfect. The bishop read from the proclamation for the family and focused a lot on how marriage is ordained of God. It was exactly the message that we wanted him to hear. We are still working with his and Andrea´s marriage. The problem is that he is from Tacna, Southern Peru, and to get married he has to get his birth certificate from the city of Tacna but his family doesnt live there anymore so he will have to work through some friends. We are trying really hard to get them excited about their wedding so that he can get baptized and then they can get sealed. Oh yea we got to explain the Law of Chastity to Roxana and her man, Javier, who is also really cool, too. We told them that they need to get married too, but they will be a lot easier because they are both from Lima. We just have to get them excited. Jimmy and his family also came to church yesterday. I dont know if I´ve told you about Jimmy, but about two weeks ago he came up to us one night when we were walking through the market to get to an appointment. At first I thought he was drunk because usually only the drunks and wierdos want to talk to us at night. He told us about some of his problems and how he wants to change and asked us to come visit him. We made an appointment but I was pretty sure that he wasnt going to be there like most of the first time appointments that we make with new people. Usually we never see them again, but we have now visited Jimmy and his family three times and they have baptismal goals for the 22nd of August. Usually they are outside of their house waiting for us out on the sidewalk. They are super humble and have been super prepared. Jimmy is 34 and lives with his older brother and his mom. They always read everything that we leave them to read and really wanted to attend church to see what it was like. I think they were the first ones there at church on Sunday. Jimmy´s aunt and uncle and cousins in Callao are active members and have served missions and have invited them to Family Home Evenings before. It has been so cool to work with them. They are super receptive and love our visits and all three of them came to church yesterday!
You guys wanted to know where I live? We live in Jr. Jorge Chavez 081. Its a black door next to a big black garage door. Inside there are a lot of rooms that they rent out. We are still living in that little tiny room but we are more used to it now. My whole sector is from Avenida Venezuela to Avewnida Argentina and Avenida Alfonso Ugarte to Avenida Tingo Maria. It is huge! It is bigger than all three of Elder Ibañez´s last sectors combined!
Sorry there arent any pictures this week!
I love you all and have another great week!
Love, 
Elder Kevin Torgersen

No comments:

Post a Comment