Monday, April 6, 2015

Chicken Feet! A Conference to Remember!‏

Chicken Feet in the soup!!!


I actually asked for it this time ´cause I like it now and I wanted to take pictures to show you all!


My Spanish is great. I´m pretty much fluent, but I keep studying. There is always more to learn. The mission sends us Liahonas so we should be good, but thanks for worrying. Say "hi" to the coaches for me! I love you a lot, dad!
Wow, it´s been a long time since we caught any bullfrog ones though! Good job!

Good morning everyone and Happy Easter. Here in Spanish, Easter is "Pascua." I hope you all had a good Easter Sunday and that you were able to learn more about our Savior´s Atonement and Resurrection. As Latter-Day Saints, one interesting thing that we dont do that most christian do do is that we don´t wear crosses, although He died for us and we should always remember that, even more important is the knowledge that He lives! I love sharing that with people. He lives!
I like your determination getting out of that mud Trevor! Good job and i´m glad you learned a lesson from it. It is good to make gospel connections to our daily lives. It is one way that we can learn and grow and strengthen out testimonies. Elizabeth looks like a model, very cute, and the funny things she says! Don´t scratch anyone with those sharp claws though.
I hope you all had a memorable conference, mine definitely was. First I´ll start with the spiritual highlights, and then the other crazy stuff that happened. I really enjoyed the conference this year. We watched all but the last session in Spanish. My Spanish is really good and I understand everything. I really liked how pretty much the entire first session was focused on the family, temples, and marriage. It was exactly what the people here needed to hear. There are so many people here living together who are not married. We consider ourselves lucky if we find people to teach who are actually married! But I really liked the focus that the church is taking on temple work and strengthening the families against Satan´s bombardment. Ever talk was really good, but one that really stood out to me was given by one of the Seventy, I think, I cant remember his name. Anyway, he was sharing an experience that a missionary had on his mission. He had just got a new companion who was inexperienced, immature, and unmotivated to work. He talked about how hard it was for him and how they did not get along. Then one day they were riding bikes down a street qand he noticed that his companion had stopped a ways back. He got super frustrated and started to ask why he was paired up with him. Then the thought came to him that in God´s eyes he wasn´t very different from his companion. To God they were both imperfect, they both made mistakes. It changed his entire attitude about his companion and his mission. I really liked that story and I think it helped me a lot.
Now for the crazy stuff... This was the first year that Conference was broadcasted to our chapel and not just the stake center so it took the technicians a while to figure it all out. We didnt have any sound until after President Eyring´s first talk. We all just sat there in silence and tried to read his lips or something, we could feel the spirit I guess. The first session went well, but people kept leaving the doors open and these stray dogs kept sneaking in to the chapel and sleeping under the benches. We kept chasing them out and then closed all the doors, but people kept getting up to go to the bathroom and they would leave the doors open and the dogs would sneak back into the church and go right back to the chapel. I think they liked all the cool air from the fans that were on, and they wanted to listen to conference too! Every once in a while the broadcast would just freeze and we would lose several moments of conference. It got really bad during the priesthood session. That´s why we went to the stake center for the final session, and besides most of the zone was there listening to it in English in another room. Don´t worry though, the mission orders us Liahona´s every month and they usually come in English for the General Conference session so we will get to read it all. Other than that Conference was great!
Last night we had a Noche de Hogar at Hermana Vilma´s house and afterwards the ward had a little goodbye party for me in case I get transfered tomorrow (it´s like a 95% chance). We went around and everyone there shared some experience or testimony about us. it was really neat. There were some tears. It is going to be really hard to leave them. These people are like my second family and I have been here soo long! When Jeremy was talking he started crying and couldn´t finish. He really doesn´t want me to go. It is so hard! I wish I could take him with me to my next sector. My biggest desire right now is that he can stay active and worthy so that he can serve a mission in 5 years. He really wants to, but I hope that the ward can support him enough without Elder Ango and I.
So yea, I´m pretty sure I´m getting transfered. I even started packing my bags the other day. Be prepared, right. I really wanted to leave, but after last night I realized that it is going to be really hard!
Today we are going to the offices to pick up some packages and letters from you guys that they have in the mission office. They should tell us all the cambios early when we get there. Then we are going to do some shopping and exploring in the center of Lima. I love you all and hope you have a good week.
Love, Elder Kevin Torgersen 

No comments:

Post a Comment