Monday, August 3, 2015

Rigoberto= Cornelio‏

¡Buenos días familia! Me alegre que ustedes han tenido una semana muy buena y divertida! Gracias por todas sus cartas, historias y fotos que me mandan cada semana. 
We had a good week here in barrio Venezuela. This week we recieved a reference from the offices. I called him Thursday and set up an appointment with him for later that day. We went and he was there waiting for us (usually people forget or hide). He welcomed us up into his humble home in the third floor of an old building. His name is Rigoberto and he is really cool. He is about 50-60 years old and is a taxista. He used to be ship merchant and has sailed all around the world. He has been to all parts of South America, Europe, Asia, and the United States. About a year ago he gave a ride to an older missionary couple and during the ride they gave him a Libro de Mormón. He was really interested and started reading it. Then recently he gave a ride to two American missionaries from Migraciones here in Breña to the temple in La Molina. He said that they talked to him about the church for over an hour and wrote down all of his information to go visit him, and that´s where Elder Ibañez and I come in! We brought Alex and taught him about the Restauration on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It was probably one of the best lessons that I`ve taught. At the end he said "Wow, I can tell that you guys really know what you are talking about, everything is really clear. I understand it all. I would have liked to learn more about José Smith though." We were joking afterwards that he is really one of the Three Nephites and was evaluating our teaching abilities, hahaha! We invited him to church and he said he was going to go but that we didnt need to come pick him up. (Everybody says that and they never show up!) He said he would beat us there, which scared us because lately the bishopric has been opening the church late on Sunday mornings. We also last his number and so we werent able to call him Saturday night to remind him. Sunday came and the bishop opened the church early and everything was relaxed and going well before 8am. Then Rigoberto showed up! Jimmy and his family came too. The pianist never showed up so I got to play in sacrament meeting.  It was a really great fast and testimony meeting and Rigoberto really enjoyed it. He wants us to come visit him again to learn more. He is a person that has been prepared to recieve the gospel, (he´s legally married too, we double-checked that during the first appointment!) Here in the mission we call people who are really prepared to get baptized Cornelios because of the story of Cornelius in Acts chapter 10 ( I think its chapter 10) Well that´s some of the excitement this week. Elder Ibañez and I get along really good! His English is improving a lot too. Cambios are coming up next week amd we are really hoping that neither one of us gets changed!
 Sorry there arent any pictures this week. There will be next week.
I love you all!
Love Elder Kevin Torgersen

No comments:

Post a Comment