Monday, October 5, 2015

Conferencia General y Milagros!!! (Sorry, no pictures this week)‏

Its been a great week! Elder Gutierrez and I were both having the most successful week that either of us have ever had so far on the mission at the begining of the week, and then I got sick. I was throwing up and sick to my stomach all day Friday (I think it was a bad empanada that I ate), and then we had General Conference Saturday and Sunday. We still got a lot done and our numbers were better than last weeks! Our zone leaders challenged us to invite at least one person to baptism every hour of proselyting during these coming weeks. Not just baptismal invitations, but invitations with a specific date. Por ejemplo, " Hermano, ¿will you follow the example of Jesucristo by being baptized by someone who holds the priesthood authority of God?" Then, "we are preparing a baptismal service for the --- of octubre. ¿Will you prepare to be baptized that day?" We`ve actually had a lot of success and right now we have six people with a baptismal goal for octubre!
Wow, General Conference was great! I really liked a lot of the talks (and there werent as many technical dificulties as there were in Callao, haha!) 
Elder Rasband was my first bet for one of the new apostles. It was cool to see three new apostles join the quorum. Then, they all bore their testimonies about the church and the Restoration Sunday morning. We had an investigator named Jose Rojas who came to watch conference and those testimonies were exactly what he needed to hear. He´s come to church three times and likes it but is a little unsure about Jose Smith and he is scared about what his catholic family would say. He´s soo close though!! I think that the spirit of the conference touched his heart. Im excited to hear what he says when we visit him this week! I´m worried about President Monson. He seems so old. By the end of his talk he was all bent over and someone had to help him back to his chair. He doesnt tell as many funny stories or make everyone laugh anymore I admire him a lot though. I know that he has been chosen to be the prophet of God.
Rigoberto is progressing soo fast!! It was awesome to see him there in the Stake Center for priesthood session and then in the other chapel for the other conference. He LOVES the gospel! Every spare moment that he has at home or in his taxi he reads his Libro de Mormón or his True To The Faith book that he loves soo much. He has a strong testimony of the Restoration and the Libro de Mormón. I am so greatful for the opportunity that I had to help him find and accept the gospel.
There was a huge focus on Obedience and keeping the Sabbath Day holy. I also really liked President Uchtdorf´s first talk. I liked how he said something like, "After experiencing such a great change of heart and conversion, why do you look on internet" Its so true. If we have a testimony or have felt that the gospel is true we dont have to doublecheck on internet. It is a big problem that I have found here in this sector.
I also really liked Claudio R. M. Costa´s talk about the Sacrament and Devin G. Durrant´s talk about "Meditizar" (80% meditar and 20% memorizar) a specific scripture every week. You can pick a scripture every Sunday and then put it in a place where you will see it everyday. Imagine how many scriptures you will know by the end of the year or in several years!
Now for the miracle! So Hermana Juana Ale ( the Relief Society president) has family in Tacna who got Beto´s birth certificate and sent it here. They got it and Hermana Juana brought it to them. Hermana Juana called us and told us that when they opened it up it was exactly the same as his DNI!! (peruvian ID) They wanted to get married three years ago but couldnt because his DNI and birth certificate didnt match, but now they do!!! We dont know how it happened but now everything is ready for the wedding on Saturday. Today we are going to go visit them to doublecheck that it really is what Hermana Juana told us. Elder Gutierrez tells me to stop doubting, but I just tell him that I cant help it, I´m the son of "Thomas", hahaha! Im sure everything will be all right, I just like to be prepared.
 Thank you for all of the pictures. I love them and Im glad you had a good experience at the Conference Center. Elder Gutierrez and I are still waiting for the dog zapper with anticipation!:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment