Monday, June 6, 2016

Back to the Beginning

Well, its true! I`m back here in barrio Heros, estaca Callao, my first area! What happened is a couple of months ago barrios Heros and Jose Galvez got combined so now the ward is a lot bigger and from what I heard the attendance has tripled. We didnt have church yesterday because it was the second round of the Peruvian presidential elections. It looks like PPK, the half american won but the government hasnt officially announced the winner. Anyway, the zone leaders used to be in Jose Galvez but now we have all of that sector plus my first sector. It is so wierd walking down the same streets that I walked down everyday for six months a year and a half ago. Its really fun though. Its funny though cause two or three weeks ago I was thinking about my time back in Callao and I was thinking about how I didnt know how to do anything and how it would be to go back with all of the knowledge and skills that I have now. I guess the Lord was listening in on my thoughts and decided to send me back. I will miss Santa Beatriz though. 
My companion is Elder Luis form Huancayo, Peru. He is going home this change in only 5 weeks. He is awesome and we are already good friends. Its funny cause after I was with Elder Ango here for three cambios he went to be Elder Luis`s companion for three too, so we both have that in common.
Oh yea I forgot to tell you guys that last week Elder and Sister Hill invited us over to their house and Hermana Castañeda, my spanish teacher, was there. It was fun to see her and she gave us a lot of american candy. The Hills had coordinated with Presidente Larson so that she could come see us. It was fun!
I am really excited to be here, it is a little different though. The peruvian president declared a state of emergencia in the entire providence of Callao so now all of us missionaries in the zone have to be in our rooms early at 7:30pm unless we have a really important appointment or ward meeting.  It feels really wierd going home so early but I guess its for our safety. We have a lot of time to get stuff done at night now and our new favorite pastime after daily planning everynight is dropping water balloons on all of the wild street dogs that pass under our third floor balcony outside of our room. Its pretty fun, hahahaha!
I havent seen Miguel or Jeremy yet. The sector limits got moved one block so now they both live one block outside of my sector but we can still go visit them. The other elders say that Miguel is one of the most active members in the ward. Im really happy about that. Its funny everytime we run into members that I knew when I was here becasue they always look at me and then do a double take and stare at me again and say, "Wait I know you, youre Elder Torgersen."  Im surprised how many people recognize me cause I didnt speak spanisk too good when I was here cause I was just starting. Its funny though when everyone sees me. Herman Brake says hi and also jokingly said that shes still willing to recieve any packages of american candy from home, hahaha!
Our zone is small. Right now we only have seven companionships. The entire mission is downsizing now because starting last change until october about 50 missionaries are going home and only about 20 are coming to replace them so President has had to close a lot of sectors. The missionaries we do have here are all really young. All but two of them have about 4-7 months in the mission. They work hard though. 
This week we had so many leadership meetings and other stuff going on plus we only work until 7:30pm that we didnt have much time to proselyte. What time we did have we used very effectively and we found SOO many prepared people. I really feel like we are going to have a lot of success here!
This morning the secretaries called me and asked me what airport I wanted to go home to and if my parents were going to come pick me up. I told them that I didnt think so but that I was going to confirm with you guys. We are going to the (oregon) beach, right? That will be fun!
Im glad you all had a great time in Manti! Thanks for all of the pictures and fun stories! Love you all, have a great week!
--
-Elder Kevin Torgersen-
Misión Perú Lima Central

No comments:

Post a Comment