Monday, October 27, 2014

Well, I made it safely to Peru!


Well, I made it safely to Peru! The flight wasn't too bad and it was cool that we got to be with most of our district. I had to say goodbye to Elder Richards, that was hard. We have plans for after our missions. When we got here to Lima, we were taken by some missionaries to a huge fancy hotel and we met President Borg. It was probably the fanciest hotel that I have ever set foot in and it was on my mission in Peru!  That's kind of funny! It was the Atton hotel in San Isidro. President Borg told us that we were going to stay the night there, but to not get used to it. he said that's the last time we'll get anything like that for two years. The mission office is on the sixth floor of the building just across the street from the hotel that we stayed in. The next morning we had a morning of meetings and then we all went to the Cambios meeting. Our mission is the smallest proselytizing mission in the world and the only one where the entire mission meets together every six weeks. President Borg introduced all of the new missionaries and then went through and named off the new companionships and such. My companion is named Elder Ango. He is from Peru, about 8 hours away. He doesn't speak much English, but he is a really good missionary and we have fun together. He is really short and I am tall. His last companion was also a tall American, named Elder Bassett. Apparently we look a lot alike because about half of the people we talk to don't even recognize that I am new. Then they have to do a double-take.
We were are assigned to the Herros 2 sector of Callao. Calloa is like a suburb of Lima. All everyone ever says is that Callao is the sketchiest part of the mission, and we are in one of the most sketchy parts of Callao. It's all ok though. Elder Ango knows how to keep us safe. We have little tips for hiding money and stuff. I think I have seen more drugs and alchohol in this first week here in Callao than in my whole life. The drunks here are kind of funny. They all congregate in small groups on street corners and when we pass they call us out and then give us thumbs-up. Every time they see us. It really scared me the first few times, cause I thought they wanted something from us. For some reason, when they are drunk it brings out all of their English. Sometimes they say "Hello, my friends, " as we pass. There are also a lot a dogs. Ever street has at least five stray dogs at a time. And that is not an exaggeration. They aren't that bad either. if we leave them alone then they leave us alone. Our neighbors are Jehovah's Witnesses, our arch nemesis', haha, but they are nice too, just really stubborn. 
I have had a lot of experiences this week. Every night, we eat dinner at Hna Brake's home, she is the President of the Relief Society. Every meal there is rice and chicken and some variation of chicken noodle soup. I was eating my soup one day and could not tell what was floating in it. When I was about halfway done I realized that it was a chicken foot. Hna Brake told me that it is good for my stomach so I had to eat it in front of her. It tasted just like normal chicken, it was just the thought and big tendons that were a little gross!
We were out in the street talking to a man who years ago was baptized but not confirmed, when a black car pulled up and an older lady got out. She came up and asked us what we believe in. We talked (mostly Elder Ango does the talking right now) and she invited us back to her house. Apparently she runs here own primary to keep kids off the street. Most of their parents are addicts and dont teach them religion or stuff like that so she has 80 kids that she teaches in her house. There were 20 or 30 wheb we got there. She had them do a wierd Christian dance for us.The whole thing was just plain wierd, but she is trying to do a good thing here. We taught the Plan of Salvation to her and a group of her helpers. They were all gathered around us in a semicircle as we taught and all of the kids were behind them. They seemed interested. We are going to return soon I think. We were joking that if we can convert the head lady, then the rest of the 80 something children and helpers will be baptized too and then we will more than double the size of our ward!
I feel like the ward here is sick. I counted 70 people in Sacrament meeting and Elder Dickson and Pacas, the other Elders in the ward, said it was the most they had seen in a long time. From what i have seen this week, there are probably three times as many less actives as actives. When they heard that i can play piano they got so excited. They pulled out the dusty keyboard (with no pedal) from out of the storage and we set it up before Sacrament Meeting. nobody remembers when the last time was that there was a piano. Sometimes they would play the guitar, but usually it would be accapella. The first song we sang was really awkward. I had no idea what song most of the people were singing because it all sounded like a mess. They were all singing at different speeds and pitches or what ever it is. I don't think they understand rhythm. By the third hymn, they were a lot better at following the notes and rhythm. The Bishop announced that I am going to be giving piano lessons on Saturday nights. I thought of Sister Paz. But i have no idea how i am going to teach them. A lot of people have said they want to learn but we only have on small keyboard. He also announced that Elder Dickson and I are going to teach English classes every week! 
We were out looking up menos activos and old investigators across the street from our apartment when we met an old catholic lady whose husband was bedridden and cannot talk. We talked for a while and offered to give him a blessing of health. I did the annointing. It was the first time I have done that and it was in Spanish!

Photos: 3 generations of missionaries, my trainer (Elder Ango), and his trainer (Elder Murri), and me


The Jones, our favorite couple missionaries from the CCM. Sister Jones made me the birthday cake and Elder Jones served his mission in Lima. He said he knows Uncle Robert and that they have worked together.

My first night in the mission field in the nicest hotel I stayed in!



Pictures with our night teacher, the speed demon, Hermano Terrazas!‏

No comments:

Post a Comment