Sorry for forwarding your letter, I shouldný have done it. That would be cool if you made a blog. We have an hour and a half here to write, but 15 min is for writing President Borg. This computer is frustrating. Most of the letters on the keyboard have worn off.
Did you know, Dylan id getting baptized!!! On November 15th, he wants jake Francis to baptize him. It´s that great!
I forgot to tell you a story from ladt week when we were trying to get a taxi to take us to our apartment on my first day. It took us at least 45 minutes and dozens of taxis to finally find one that would bring us to our part of Callao. That was my first day and my first experience with our sector. It scared me then, but not that much now.
I´m still alive! No, it´s not that bad. We haven´t even been robbed yet. We did have a "spiritual" experience the other day. We were sleeping, and at about one thirty in the morning, Edler Ango woke up and heard the sound of someone turning a key in one of our doors to unlock it ( we have three doors to unlock before you can get into our house). So he slipped out of bed and woke me up. He also thought that he heard shuffling feet and moving chairs outside our bedroom door, like someone had broken in to rob us. We were sure of it. When we were both up, we decided what to do. We both hit the door loudly and flipped on the bedroom light at the same time hoping to scare the intruder away. Then we listened, and heard nothing. We called Elder Pacasm our district leader and he said to stay put and call the police if we needed to. We barricaded the door with our dressers and stuff so that there was no way that anyone couls open the door. We texted the less actives across the street to see if they could see anything in our front room, but they never answered. Eventually, we decided to lay back down and try to listen for more noises and fall back asleep. Needless to say, it was a long night. After Elder Ango fell asleep, I thought I heard the same sounds that he described. Eventually, I did fall asleep and when we woke up we unblocked ans unlocked the door and checked our apartment. All of the doors were still locked and everything was as we had let it. Elder Ango blamed the experience on spirits or fantasms. When we told the story to other members, they sais the sane thing. Hermana Brake said it is a common thing here in Callao for the missionaries to be harassed by evil spirits, because the adversary´s power is so strong here. She told us a dtory of a missionary who awoke to a feelong of a very heavy weight on his chext so that it was hard to breathe, but nobody was there. The devil´s power is real, and there really are spirits on the Earth. However, Hermana Brake reminded us that we hold the priesthood and that we have power over the devil and his minions. Like Jesus in the New Testament, we too can rebuke and cast them out from our presence in the name of Jesus Christ.
I have had other opportunities to use the priesthood. Yesterday, I was asked to give a blessing of comfort and strength to a man who called us into his house as we were walkong down the street. It was hard, but I did it in Spanish.
The first Piano class was successful, but hard. I have never taught piano before and then to do it in Spanish after only 11 days here was hard. I dodný know the terminology or anything like that. Luckily, Elder Ango knows a bit about music and he helped me, and Hermano Chavarri, the 2nd counselor to the bishop, knows a lot about music too. he was a life saver. While I taught Piano, Elder Dickson and Pacas taught English. We had a good turnout.
This week, we have been helping Hermana Julia take her mom to the doctor and to the hospital. Her mom is an ancient, tiny Peruvian from the highlands who only speaks Chechua, and a little Spanish. So not even Elder Ango can understand her. Her name is Hermana Ccapatina (yes, with two "c´s") she fell and broke her leg last week. As the biggest one out of all of us, I have to job of lifting her off of her bed, and into the wheelchair, then from the wheelchair into the taxi. After the taxi ride, it´s back into the wheelchair, into the hospital. The wheelchair won´t fit in the elevator with her in it, so I have to lift her out of the chair again and onto the floor of the elevator, and then I usually have to lift her onto the doctor´s table for xrays. Then. it´s the whole process all over again to take her home. We did that twice this week. I´m luck that she´s so small. I fell so bad for her. She is in a lot fo pain, but she is a good short when I have to lift her.
Some of the people kind of worship us. They recognize us as holy men. Last night, we were walking down the street with the Primary President, When a wierd man stopped and tried to explain to me that he was clean, and that he didn´t do anything bad. He was kind of begging for mercy as if i had the power to condemn him or something. I thought it was kind of funny!
During our last District/Zone meeting, we separated the Latino and American Elders for Englixh and Spanish study. What the Latino Elders did was pretty funny. They made up a song in English. It goes like this, " I hate the chicken and the rice!", and is sung to the tune of "Abide With Me Tis Eventide." The one line is repeated and repeated for the whole song. It was pretty funny hearing all of our companions sing it in their heavy spanish accents!
Last Pday, we went over to Pacas and Dickson´s apartment to help them paint their bathroom, because the landlady really wanted it done. Today, we are going to the Larcomar, which is kind of like the beach and we are going to rent bicycles to ride to a big Christ statue that is up a big hill. It should be pretty fun! Love you all, have a great week!
Love, Elder Torgersen
No comments:
Post a Comment