Monday, November 10, 2014

I'm Still Alive!‏

I havent got any packages yet. I just got all of the letters this week. Every Wednesday at the District meeting they bring a big bag with all the letters and stuff that came that week. I know I will need another journal. You could send one of those.

I can't believe that another week has come and gone. It's so crazy. I love hearing about what you guys are up to. I just wish that I could have some pictures that I could keep. The members and investigators love seeing pictures of our families. Oh, and mom, remember when we were picking out ties and you picked out the grey, fancy one cause you said some little old peruvian lady would like it, well the bishop's wife really likes it, so you were right! 
The Larcomar trip was great. The Larcomar is actually the mall that we went to when we were in Lima were Tristan had the little octopus legs and part of it is underground. It was cool that I had been there before. That is the part of Lima that we visited.  We ate KFC and then rented bikes with Elder Pacas and Dickson. The ride to the Cristus statue is about 30 to 45 minutes but the last part going up the hill is the real challenge! It is so steep! At the top of the hill is the giant statue of Christ and this little old lady who sells drinks to those who make it to the top. It's a pretty genius idea! 







This week we had some intercambios where we change companions for a day and spend the night with the new companion. Elder Pacas and Ango were together and Elder Dickson and I were companions. Two gringos in the middle of Callao! He has only been out one transfer more than me, so two gringos in the middle of Callao who dont speak Spanish very well! It was fun though we did a lot a street contacting and knocking doors and taught a few lessons together. What is really cool though is that after we had returned to his apartment for the night, we started doing our daily planning for tomorrow. We always start with a prayer so that the Holy Ghost can guide us as we plan what to teach. It was a little hard because I don't really know any of their investigators. We came to one man and Elder Dickson asked me what I thought we should plan for he and Elder Pacas to teach him the next day. The idea came to me that they should teach Lesson 3, The Gospel of Jesus Christ, with a emphasis on faith. We wrote that down and then moved on. A few days later, Elder Dickson told me that that was exactly what that man needed to hear. The Holy Ghost really does guide us!
This week I had migraciones, were we had to go do VISA stuff. It was like 5 hours for two consecutive days. But it was great to see the other missionaries from my CCM district. They had to be there too. 
Friday I started feeling wierd. Saturday, I was sick. I had a fever, headache, body aches, chills, and I felt like I was freezing. We had to go back and rest at the apartment. We missed our piano class this week because I was sick. That was Saturday. Sunday I was feeling better and we brought some investigators to church, but after lunch I had to go rest again. This morning I woke up feeling a lot better. It's about time that I got sick, though. I was expecting it to happen earlier. Elder Ango and Hermana Brake say it was Gripe or something like that. But they call every sickness that here. 
So yesterday at church I was talking to this  lady who has been a member for two years. I told her that I was from Provo, which is about an hour from Salt Lake. Then she asked me the wierdest question. Apparently the missionaries who baptized her told her that her name would be sent to Salt Lake. So she asked me if her name was floating on the lake or somewhere on the bottom or something like that. I was so confused. I had to explain to here that Salt Lake City is were the church offices are and that is were her information is. I thought that was really funny!
Tomorrow we are going to the temple! I am really excited! There is also a bookstore there that I am excited for too. I need scripture cases for my spanish scriptures and stuff like that. Everything will be in Spanish. 
I love you all! Send me some pictures. Oh and we have these family history pamphlets that we fill out about our selves and I need all of my aunts and uncles names and birthdays and birthplaces, as well as for the siblings of my grandparents. It would be best if you sent that in a letter though. Thank you!
Elder Kevin Torgersen




So funny story about last week's piano class. The man with the white hair on the left is pretty much deaf ( we don't know why he always looks so sad). Then the man making a wierd face in the black jacket was drunk, and the man in the tan jacket is blind. So teaching piano here is pretty rough, right! Haha! Hno Chavarri is on the far right. He is the 2nd counselor and the secretary of the bishop. He helps me a lot to teach music. The lady in the yellow is Gladys. She is an investigator who comes almost every week and most of her family are members but she doesnt want to be baptized yet. She had a baptismal date at one time but too many people in the ward were congratulating and bothering her about it so it fell through. Her daughter in the green pants is Ashley, she is a member.


We laugh so hard every time we look at this picture!




No comments:

Post a Comment