Monday, November 17, 2014

Noche de Hogar

Every week we have a noche do hogar, or family home evening with the Jamjachi family. They are recent converts who have a goal for the temple. Hermano Jamjachi is really cool, I like him. He is the one buried at the bottom of the pile.

Hello everybody! Thank you for the emails. I hope that you are feeling better dad, and that you can get back to work. 
That`s so great that Adam wants to go on a mission now and that Tristan started his papers! It`s been hard, but it`s fun!

You`ll need to send me the picture of Dylan`s baptism. I was so happy when he told me. I had been praying for it for a long time, and that was the reason for my fast last fast Sunday, which was the day before he told me he was going to be baptized. There really is power in prayer and fasting!
I can`t believe that Matthew is already coming home and that Macrae is leaving. It`s crazy. 
I`m glad that the boys are enjoying wrestling. I want to see some pictues of that too. So Coach Preece has been talking about me? What has he been saying?
Gladys Montenegro, (not the investigator, but the Salt Lake question lady), asked me another wierd question. She was accoumpanying us to teach an investigator when we saw a cat in an alley. She said something about it and then asked me, "cats are of the devil because they have 9 lives, right." I was so confused again. I explained to her that during the creation God ans Jesus Christ created all the animals. Therefore cats are creatures of God and not the devil. THen she asked me, "and what about monsters." I just said that I didn't know and left it at that. She is so wierd sometimes, but we have a good laugh about it afterwards when we are back in the apartment. To her credit though, she is always willing to accoumpany us to lessons with investigators. It is really hard to get others to help us.
The temple trip was great! It is about an hour and a half to two hour trip by cramped bus, depending on traffic, to get to the temple. It was so great to escape the dirty, scary outside world and enter the peace of the temple. The temple in Lima is smaller than I was expecting. Everything is on one level. The ordinance room that we were in was the smallest that I have ever been in. The temple is so beautiful and the grounds are so well kept. I think it is the best kept building in all of Lima. It definitely stands apart from the rest of the city.
The other day we were in the bishop's house and there was a pretty strong earthquake. It was the first earthquake that I have ever felt. It was pretty cool. All the furniture was shaking and you could feel the ground moving under your feet. It only lasted a few seconds and nothing was damaged.
We have an investigator named Miguel Angel who is preparing to be baptized on the 29th of this month. He is 45 years old and in a wheelchair. He loves reading the Book of Mormon. One night when he first started reading it, he had a dream where he saw a pillar of light. He took that to be his sign that the book is true. Right now he is finishing up Mosiah. He marks every page and always has a bazillion questions everytime that we meet together. We take him to church every week. Yesterday, instead of his wheelchair he wanted to use his crutches so it took us almost twice as long to get to church, but it was worth it because he was there. Every investigator has to attend at least three times before their baptism. He has two attendances and there is only one more Sunday before his baptism. We are going to make sure he is there next Sunday because HE HAS TO COME or we will have to postpone his date! I really want him to be baptized. He has been prepared. He is ready!
I think we are going to play soccer against another zone today. That should be fun. I was wondering if you could send a spanish phrase dictionary. I have a word dictionary, but a big book of common phrases would be nice. And also, I need the wifi activated on my camera but I don't know how to do it. We can't do it from the camera, we tried and tried and couldn't figure it out. Also I don't know about pouch mail here. How do I send it, is it through the normal post office, or the mission office?
Love you all! I'll let you know when I get the packages.
Elder Kevin Torgersen


When I saw these flowers at the temple I thought of you, mom, and Grandma. Do you know what kind they are?
At the temple, I got a simplified hymnbook in spanish, but if you can find a book about learning piano to send that would be great. Nobody came for piano lessons this week, I think that it was because I was sick and we werent there last week. It was ok though. I helped Elder Dickin teach his handful of English students. There was the blind man, who is a member, and three little kids who showed up. That was it.
Thanks for working on my camera. If the wifi is activated then Elder Ango's camera can send pictures directly to my camera and it would be a lot easier.
Thanks for sending those talks to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment